Our Vet and Receptionist vacancies are now filled!
We would like to extend a massive welcome to Natalie, our new receptionist. She has a lot of experience working with animals, especially dogs. Check out our Meet The Team page to find out more.
We look forward to welcoming our new Vet later in the year.
***COOMARA ARE RECRUITING!***
WE ARE LOOKING FOR A FULL TIME MIXED PRACTITIONER TO COMPLETE OUR VET TEAM:
Are you looking for a job where you're not just a colleague but a member of a family? A family dedicated to becoming the best GP practice in the area? Are you looking for a practice where you can help to build something great, rather than try to slot into a finished article?
We are looking for a teammate with excellent COMMON SENSE, good PRACTICAL SKILLS, and a THIRST FOR KNOWLEDGE, for our growing independent mixed practice near the Lake District...here is the full low down:
- Coomara is a family business, run by Charlotte and Pete Denston. We are independent and traditional, with purpose built premises built on the back of Charlotte and Pete's family home. Charlotte graduated in 2007, and as the sole "boss" is committed to fostering an environment where the whole team enjoys their work, provides the best care they can, and feel supported fully in that aim.
- 60% small animals; 40% farm; minimal equine. We currently employ 3 full time vets (on rota) for mixed work, 1 part time vet exclusively small animal who also covers Saturday morning consults, and 1 part time vet on small animal and equine work (an equine medicine certificate holder).
- 1:3 rota (equally shared); 4.5 day week; full Friday off following a weekend on call. Our on call is (not usually!) busy - in real terms the 1:3 rota consists of one regular night on call per week, 1 in 3 Monday nights on call, and 1 in 3 full weekends.
- 28 days holiday per year. Bank Holidays are equally shared and time given back off in lieu.
- CPD encouraged and funded, as part of our vision for growth of our services
- Dedicated vibrant team of nurses and support staff - nursing support for out of hours and inpatients
- Supportive learning environment (including structured weekly mentoring session for new graduates), and a culture of open clinical discussion amongst the team
- Growth in the small animal sector of the practice means that we are actively reinvesting in our staff, premises and equipment - toys so far include in house lab (with biochemistry, PCV, microscope); digital radiography; ultrasound scanner with Doppler; Class IV Laser; Electrosurgical unit. We have just recently given our front of house and consulting rooms a face lift, with plans to revamp our prep room, theatre and kennels in due course.
- Currently we operate 10 minute consults, however staffing means there are usually 2 or more vets sharing the consulting so more time can be made available for more complicated cases. Consults run from 0830 to 1830 on weekdays, with some gaps between for paperwork and lab reporting. The new vet will be offered one dedicated operating morning each week, and at least one routine fertility visit a fortnight depending on ability and aptitude for bovine fertility work (more if keen!).
- Saturday surgery is covered by the on-call vet, and our regular saturday morning small animal vet. Appointments run from 0830-1130.
- Our farm work largely consists of dairy farms, with some beef and sheep. We have the occasional goat, camelid and backyard poultry to deal with as well.
- Our salary packages will depend on experience, and include a company vehicle if required, and an allowance for housing. If our vehicle is not required mileage is paid monthly. A new graduate in their first job could expect a package worth at least £30,000 (not including CPD allowance)
- Staff animals are treated at a heavy discount - drugs at cost price and no fees unless they include any staff overtime.
Our Practice is located just off Junction 42 of the M6 - it is a 25 minute drive to the Lake District National Park and about half an hour from the Solway coastline and beaches, and you have plenty of long weekends on our rota with which to enjoy the great outdoors! Carlisle is a pleasant city, with lots of local history (Hadrian's Wall, Carlisle Castle etc), a decent nightlife, a lots of local clubs and societies for every taste whether musical, artistic or sporting. Carlisle railway station and our proximity to the M6 affords easy access to London and north of the Border to Scotland. Carlisle Airport is shortly to open for international flights.
Applicants should send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com for the attention of Pete Denston; alternatively give Pete a ring on 07786153182.
We are looking for a receptionist to join our cheerful and approachable team:
Hours of work are variable, Tuesday to Friday 8-4 (avg 30 hours per week) with a 1 hour lunch break.
We also require cover for a Saturday morning on alternate months, from 8am to 12 midday.
Successful applicants should be motivated, friendly and professional, work well and efficiently under pressure, and preferably have some experience in reception work.
Coomara's reception team prides itself on their ability to make everyone feel welcome, and reassured at times of potential stress. We enjoy building relationships with our clients and interacting with their pets.
The post would involve opening up, answering telephones, making appointments, administrative tasks such as assisting in accounts, invoicing and pharmacy management, and dispensing medications. Full training would be provided to the right applicant.
Please send a CV and covering letter to Pete on firstname.lastname@example.org
FROM 1ST JULY 2018 - OUR HIGHLY POPULAR COOMARA CARE PLAN NOW OFFERS ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR DOGS AND CATS OVER 8 YEARS OLD! COOMARA CARE FOR SENIORS!
FOR AN ADDITIONAL £4.95 PER MONTH FOR DOGS AND £5.95 PER MONTH FOR CATS, BENEFIT FROM ALL THE LISTED PRODUCTS AND SERVICES IN THE STANDARD COOMARA CARE PLAN, PLUS...
- ANNUAL BLOOD TEST - for cats and dogs
- ANNUAL URINE TEST - for cats and dogs
- ANNUAL BLOOD PRESSURE CHECK - for cats only
- 10% OFF SELECTED PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS, PRESCRIPTION CHECK UPS, LASER THERAPY AND ACUPUNCTURE
- 25% OFF LOXICOM FOR CHRONIC USE (ARTHRITIS)
CONTACT THE SURGERY FOR MORE INFORMATION!
NEW... FREE URINE TESTS UNTIL THE END OF MAY!
For a limited time, until the end of May 2018, we are offering FREE OF CHARGE urine screening tests on samples brought in to the practice from your cat or dog.
Urine tests can provide crucial indicators for diseases such as KIDNEY DISEASE, DIABETES MELLITUS and other hormone imbalances. Early detection of these diseases can drastically improve prognosis.
We will check your sample, and if there are any red flags arrange for one of our vets to check your pet over and investigate further.
If you would like to provide a sample, ideally collect the first wee of the day into a clean dry container (preferably not a container that has held sweet products such as jam, honey or jelly). If you have a cat, you can obtain non-absorbant cat litter from the surgery.
The latest news and events from Coomara Facebook:
COOMARA CARE PLAN - RELAUNCHED!
OUR PREVENTATIVE HEALTHCARE PLAN, COOMARA CARE, HAS JUST BEEN RELAUNCHED.
THE NEW AND IMPROVED PLAN SPREADS THE COST OF VACCINATIONS, WORMERS AND FLEA TREATMENTS OVER THE YEAR, AND MEMBERS SAVE A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT ON THESE PRODUCTS.
THE DOG PLAN INCLUDES NORMAL BOOSTER VACCINATIONS, KENNEL COUGH VACCINATION, MONTHLY FLEA TREATMENTS (SPOT-ON OR ORAL DEPENDING ON PREFERENCE), QUARTERLY WORMERS, AND 2 GENERAL HEALTH CHECKS PER YEAR. PRICE FROM £12.11 PER MONTH.
THE CAT PLAN INCLUDES BOOSTER VACCINATIONS, MONTHLY FLEA SPOT-ONS, QUARTERLY WORMER SPOT-ON OR TABLET, AND 2 HEALTH CHECKS PER YEAR. PRICE £10.55 PER MONTH.
OUR RABBIT PLAN INCLUDES BOOSTER VACCINATION AND ANNUAL FLYSTRIKE PREVENTION, AND 2 HEALTH CHECKS PER YEAR. PRICE £5.31 PER MONTH.
ALL MEMBERS CAN BENEFIT FROM 10% A RANGE OF PRODUCTS AND SERVICES AT THE PRACTICE, INCLUDING NEUTERING, DENTAL WORK AND OUT OF HOURS CONSULTATIONS.
BECOME MEMBERS OF COOMARA CARE TODAY AND START SAVING!
NEW FOR MARCH 2016
On 6th April 2016 it will become law that ALL DOGS OVER 8 WEEKS OLD in England must be microchipped, and owner details kept up to date on an approved national database. Failure to do so may lead to criminal prosecution and a £500.00 fine
POP-UP DOG MICROCHIP CLINICS...£7.50 PER DOG PER CHIP (HALF PRICE) AND OPEN TO ALL...
MONDAY 7TH MARCH - LAZONBY VILLAGE HALL 1-3PM
TUESDAY 8TH MARCH - ARMATHWAITE VILLAGE HALL 6.30-8.30PM
MONDAY 21ST MARCH - ARMATHWAITE OLD SCHOOL HALL 1-3PM
TUESDAY 22ND MARCH - LAZONBY VILLAGE HALL 1-3PM
TUESDAY 29TH MARCH - DALSTON RECREATION HALL 1-3PM
MONDAY 4TH APRIL - DALSTON RECREATION HALL 1-3PM
NEW FOR FEBRUARY 2016
On 6th April 2016 it will become law that ALL DOGS OVER 8 WEEKS OLD in England must be microchipped, and owner details kept up to date on an approved national database. Failure to do so may lead to criminal prosecution and a £500.00 fine. Further information on the law can be found on the Petlog website and Kennel Club website.
Over the coming weeks we will be contacting all clients that we do not have a registered microchip number for, and running a combination of events and offers....
Keep checking our website and facebook for dates and events near you
FREE cat neutering
This offer is available for a fixed term (February 2016) and open to both male and female cats. It is funded by the Cats Protection League (Carlisle and District Branch). It will be non-means tested (you do not need to be on benefits or low income to enquire).
Ring Jean from CPL to register for a voucher - 01228 536168